Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Intentionally lame-ass translation as propaganda tool

The WaPo informs us today that a US carrier group has left the Persian Gulf at the same time an Iranian naval exercise was winding down, and that the top Iranian military officer took advantage of the occasion to express how the Iranians feel about US carrier groups operating in the Gulf:
“We warn this ship, which is considered a threat to us, not to come back, and we do not repeat our words twice,” Salehi said, according to the Iranian Students’ News Agency.

Now, for all I know, this is a literally exact translation of what the guy actually said, but I'd be willing to bet it's not idiomatic. It seems to me almost like somebody carefully chose a translation to make the speaker sound kinda dumb. I've seen this a lot of times over the years without really noticing it, but now that I think of it I wonder if Yasir Arafat could really have been as inarticulate as the US news media often made him sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment